Friday, December 18, 2009

B/W Photography Project 5: Utopia Project

For the final project in my photography class we were invited to explore the concept of Utopia. Disregarding B/W film for this project, I choose to shoot this project in medium format colour film. Unfortunately, my camera stopped working and so I re-shot the project digitally (hence their are no negatives for the final prints)
-- -------------------- --
Throughout my life, I have been searching for meaning. Cynical, dark, agitated, and pessimistic in humour, I often view my surroundings through a prematurely jaded lens. With this nihilist approach in mind, I am more apt to scorn utopian thought and concepts than embrace them.

However, in the past few years, I have been trying to dig myself out of this self imposed hole and ground myself with a more appreciative view of the world. In this journey, I have latched on to various loadstones to anchor myself in reality. Moments, images, events, little glimpses or extended parts of my life; these have really taken hold of me in a strong way.

It is in these objects, fragments from a tumultuous life, that I have found my utopia. Each one brings another side of me: personal, emotional, and powerful. In them, I find my peace.

"Utopia is not perfection in entirety, but an interwoven mass of imperfections culminated into one individual's perfect moment"

No comments:

Post a Comment