Monday, September 27, 2010

Silkscreen Project 1: Experimenting

For our first project, we were tasked to use the printing processes* that we have learned thus far to create something. We were told to 'not try and make art' but instead experiment and try to get a handle on the various techniques available to us. We could use any colour of ink (it was requested that we only use one though) and any stock/material to print on.

*Processes:
Paper stencils
Drawing fluid
WD Filler
Sta-Sharp Adhering Fluid / Cut Film.

For my image, I decided to divide my canvas into four separate squares. In the top two I created a stencil with the cut film, and for the bottom half I draw images with the drawing fluid, one of which I took the negative of my painting over it with WD Filler and then rinsing the screen.

My original plan was to simply print one colour on a variety of media (cougar white paper stock and newsprint) but after trying a few runs, I decided to mix things up; this is what I ended up with.